Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Identity


I'm feeling pulled in a lot of different directions right now. I'm not sure if I've put too much on my plate or if I'm just overwhelmed coming back home and jumping so quickly into work, but I can't seem to find time for self right now. I feel like I am defined by the classes I teach and it's more and more that I realize teaching is not my niche.

Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic to see kids grow with work that I've given them, I just think I'm in a bit of a selfish mode and am trying to establish my own identity as an artist. All of these projects I've got in the works are behind my classes right now and I feel myself shoving through everything else to get to them.

I'm teaching my kids at the Opera a Victorian Waltz tomorrow, and then will go up to the Playhouse on Wednesday to work on a duet piece they've all been developing. Watching so many ah-ha moments happen in the course of six weeks is fantastic but wears me out beyond compare.

On the other side of this I'm trying to put together a short dance film with John, choreograph two pieces for Celebrate Dance Festival, adapt a Brecht piece for a group of talented teens in the fall, and work on an evening length piece for a December concert I'm trying to put together. All this while I'm also planning a wedding.

Who am I and what did I do with that lazy girl who used to sit in front of the television before Glimmerglass called?

2 comments:

Alpaca Lady said...

You are your Mother's daughter, and at the end you will feel good, accomplished and be excited for the next exciting group of projects to begin.

Anonymous said...

Of all the glorious projects you've immersed yourself in, make the wedding planning the lowest on the list - as long as you and he are there, the rest is just icing on the (wedding)cake - in Colorado you don't even need an officiant. Good luck!