Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day Musings


We are in the midst of a knee-sweat inducing Santa Ana, and yet I put on my lightest summer clothing and walked up the street to Alice Kirby Elementary, my polling place, thinking that I would have to stand in line and would find myself sweating in places without sweat glands as the school is unairconditioned.

I was the only one there.

My electronic voting booth was broken the first time. I'd stick the voter card in the slot and my ballot was immediately cancelled three times. Ten minutes it took me to figure out how to get the thing to stick (after finally switching booths).

I was still the only one there.

Went through the countless elected representative and judicial nominees, the umpteen propositions set before California voters today, made sure I was answering each one exactly how I wanted. Mused at the fact that the whole thing was really quite easy after the whole broken booth thing was taken care of. Watched my voter tape roll through the system with my picks easily recognizeable. Still not one hundred percent about the voting machines, but much happier since I got to see my answers roll by instead of letting them disappear into the bowels of the computer without me being able to check them. That was seven or eight minutes. Turned around to grab my "I voted" sticker.

I was still the only one there.

Walked out the door into the blinding, arid sunlight; the palm trees offering no respite in shade, the asphalt steaming, my sunglasses not doing enough to keep me from squinting. No one was around; no one was walking up to the door, no one was parking their car.

I think I am the only person in University Heights who voted today.

Got home and had an email from my friend, Lynne. Her husband is from North Africa. This was his first election as a citizen of the United States. He finally got to vote for the first time in his life. She had attached a great shot of him outside the polling place, pointing jubilantly at his "I Voted" sticker, looking like he might be saving the world. How wonderful to have that kind of enthusiasm for a practice that so many Americans consider a burden, or are too cynical to deal with. So many would rather watch the shitheads take office so that they have something to perpetually complain about Do they not understand that they might not have to bitch if they actually did their civic duty?

Everyone should have a chat with someone like my friend's husband. For him this is a new and grand experience - to have a say in what our government does. We have no idea how lucky we are.

3 comments:

tracey gessner said...

We were the only ones voting in Milwaukee this morning at our neighborhood high school. I'm watching CNN now hearing about so-called presidential year turnout but it obviously wasn't like that around these parts.

I kept my "I Voted!" sticker on my shirt all day.

Keturah said...

Sad...I'd like to think that I just stepped into the polling place on an off hour, but I have a feeling I live in an apathetic neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

I didn't get an I Voted sticker - our county is "saving money" by not distributing them.

We had computer issues in Denver yesterday, causing some people to have to wait in line for three to four hours. Someone called into the radio station and said, "As Americans, we should be willing to stand in line for 10, 15, 20 hours if it means we get to exercise our right that so many people in the world do not have". Amen, brother.

Of course, since I am a lonely Democrat in a red state, many of my pet issues did not swing in my favor yesterday... but still, I let my voice be heard.