Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Back to the Future

Endorphins do a body good.

I took dance class for the first time in months last night. It was a struggle to get myself there. I got within a half an hour of class and already had my dance clothes on, but I just sat in the bed thinking about how much I wasn't going to be able to do and how sore I was going to be... Routine is hard to get into.

John was instrumental in getting me there, as was Jean Isaacs who offered the class to me as her guest when I talked to her at her lovely retirement party the other day. It was my feeling of obligation to honor her invitation coupled with John pulling me out of the bedroom that ultimately got me into the car.

Laden with a filled Nalgene water bottle, legwarmers and some Tiger Balm, I drove to Dance Place San Diego in Liberty Station (the refurbished Naval Training Center in Point Loma). The building is very nice, clean, bright. So much nicer than anything I rehearsed in when I was actually doing this for a living. Jean was very happy to see me and I was a bit of a nervous wreck. Every time I walk into a dance studio my former baggage comes flooding back. This life that I wallowed in for a good part of my young life left a lot of scars that burn brightly whenever I'm in the vicinity of dancing and dancers.

Class was great but I was exhausted. I forced myself to remain upright through the whole thing. I had a headache and was remotely dizzy. I was shaking every time I stood on one leg. My pick up and muscle memory was out of practice. I couldn't get simple combinations of movement in my head and blindly followed the young college student in front of me to complete the phrase. I felt a mess.

Jean was complimentary and I told her I'd come back on Saturday, but I felt totally whipped in every way. I stretched out briefly afterwards, then stumbled out to the car and drove home. My eyelids were heavy, my thighs were shaking, sweat was rolling droplet after droplet down the small of my back.

Funny thing was, I couldn't get to sleep. Once I'd dried off and relaxed a bit I was totally energized. I woke up early this morning. I fit into my skinny jeans (more than likely sweated off some water weight in class), and felt much better running my errands this morning than usual. This is a routine I MUST keep up. The traveling makes it difficult though. There's no dance in Cooperstown, NY. There's no time for class in NYC. How can I supplement dance class with other forms of exercise?

Jean tells me that I'll be back into shape if I can just get into five more classes. I know she's right. I know I'd feel better - today is a perfect example of what adrenalin and endorphins (and a little sweat and accomplishment) can do to a psyche - but the hard part is continuing to convince myself of that when no one is standing next to me.

We'll see how it goes.

I leave for Cooperstown in a week and a half. Everything I do now revolves around prepping for my next opera. That includes finding ways to up my energy level... I will be in class on Saturday morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it morbid and funny how we never have time to do things that actually create time and make us feel good? I love working out, always have...but never make the time because I need to work or relax my brain from work or see my friends or do laundry or help out with a dance company. ;) Thanks for the reminders. Love, lm