Friday, May 18, 2007

Cats Have it Easy. . .

. . .except for maybe Lucius, my aging white cat. He has a rogue claw (only one) that grows in a rapid circle and digs itself into the pad of his front paw. After five months of being away, it had stubbornly implanted itself in his little pad and I took him to the vet this morning to have it extracted.

He's doing fine but after spending any time with Lucius one gets the idea that he lives in a low-grade state of misery at all times. He's a little bit tired, a little bit gaseous, a little bit ornery and he can't stand our other cats, which makes him skittish and pissy whenever they're in the same room.

This isn't the same cat I knew a few years ago. His cardiomyopathy has changed him and I think the stress of my life over the past few years has wreaked a little havoc as well.

I know it's wreaked havoc on me.

Monty is the cat in the picture. He's our most well adjusted. He loves anyone who comes around him, sleeps all day, purrs uncontrollably when pet. Somedays I wake up and get ready for my day, look over at him and wish I were him. He's not very bright but, as John says, "how smart does he really need to be?"

He may be the only one in the house without baggage.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry to hear that Lucius isn't doing well. By your description of his current status, he sounds a lot like me sometimes..."tired, gaseous, ornery and pissy". Yep. Sounds familiar.

We're sending good thoughts your way. You're a great "mom" to have spent so much time, effort and probably $$ caring for Lucius. He's very lucky to have you. All the best.