Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Homeward Bound (I wish I was..)


I sat in the balcony last time we had a show. Having the same seat every night for the last couple of shows has been hard on me. I like to sit all over the place, get a handle on the sight lines in different parts of the theater, hear how it sounds from different areas, shake it up a little. So, when I walked out into the house on Sunday and saw my seat surrounded by people when I'm usually isolated, I walked right past the row and climbed the winding staircase up to the balcony. House right had a whole section that was empty and I settled down and watched the show from a new vantage point. It's a totally different experience when you're looking at the show from so far up.

Whenever I worked at DePaul, Harry and I always watched the final dress rehearsal from the balcony. It answered a lot of questions about spacing and patterns that are hard to discern from the front of the tech table. I miss that - will always view it from there when I'm doing my own work. Now the only place I haven't seen "Fille" from is house left. That's probably where I'll sit at Broward - I hope there aren't any sight line issues that I never noticed.

I stopped into the offices today to pick up a Rigoletto score and thought I might feel sad about not having the opportunity to work on "Barber." Didn't feel it in the least. That's how ecstatic I am to spend some time at home. Right now it's just the waiting game that's getting me. I hate waiting around for things to happen - I'm a proactive sort of girl.

No comments: