Thursday, February 16, 2006

Blasted Cartoons..

I've tried very hard not to comment on the whole cartoon debacle in Denmark. I think the whole thing is blown quite out of proportion. I was at a dinner party the other night and spoke to a Danish woman with strong opinions and smart answers. She couldn't understand, one: why the whole Muslim world is speaking out against the whole country of Denmark for the stupid decision of one, privately-owned newspaper, and two: why the editor-in-chief of said paper didn't stand up and apologize for an act that was obviously meant to be offensive. It was great to hear from a Dane about the issue when most of the news I've been hearing has been from every source but Denmark.

Yesterday I read this on Zuco's Blog. I think it is the best explanation and analysis of the situation that I've come across thus far. My favorite quote:
Yes, I do believe in the concept and practice of freedom of speech. But at the same time, I also believe that in exercising one's right to a freedom, one should not impinge on the freedom of others. It should never be the case of "my freedom is of paramount importance, therefore I don't give a shit about what you think." Exercising one's freedom in an enlightened and liberal society is a fine balancing act.

Or maybe this:

But I also think that it's kind of ironic to be using violence in protest against someone who claims your religion is violent. Aren't you proving the cartoonist right?


You can read the whole post yourself
. The writer is from Singapore - a place where I'm sure the citizens have plenty to say about freedoms (especially freedom-of-speech).

The more I read about this whole issue, the more ridiculous I think our world has become.

No comments: