Thursday, August 03, 2006

Passport Woes

I just spent almost $200 on a passport renewal!

$200!

I should have taken care of it earlier. I think there are a lot of things on my list right now, but stuff like this falls too easily between the cracks. I am leaving for Ireland in just under eight weeks, and the passport official told me that would be cutting it really close, so I had to double my price and pay for expedited postage.

What a huge racket. Huge, but I bit the bullet and wrote the check and had a hideous picture taken of myself and put everything in an envelope with my fingers tightly crossed that I would receive my new passport in a number of days. It will, at the very least, alleviate my fears of getting to the travel date without proper identification. Not that it was something to be fearful of, but I have become very adept at being scared of everything.

It's really gloomy and cool here today. I was happy to have the day off and ran errand after errand, meeting up with John and lunch to go look at a possible site for my dance concert in December. We'll see if that works out; so far I haven't heard from the guy and I've left several messages for him. This is the part of being a "creative" that I hate - we have to plan and work out logistics in the real world.

I'm not really into logistics. I wish I could just do my work and not worry about anything else.

The place is a great space, however. It's a big open room with clean marley floors and basic lights. They have a little sound booth and risers and chairs. Everything you need for a small show. I think most appealing to me is that the audience can be configured any way I please. I'm really into this idea of alternative performance space right now. I don't think everything always has to be set into a proscenium. Everything I'm working on right now has an intimacy and look that doesn't necessarily lend itself to the proscenium. I think by placing the audience at odd angles or spread throughout the performance area, you pull them more easily into the action.

Maybe it's my own frustration with being an observer instead of a doer lately that wants to change up the audience/performer relationship and play with perspective from everybody's view.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but Ireland will be worth it! I can't believe it's been 10 years since I studied there - how is it possible that I am that old?

Keturah said...

Sus,

I know, my age baffles me every day too...have I really matured beyond those years???

k