Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Party at Keturah's House


John and I had our San Diego wedding reception over the weekend. There were about sixty people (7 or 8 of them rugrats) running around our little apartment, eating food I made and gulping down the Guinness. John included. I was over-ambitious with the menu. I was trying to make as much Irish pub food as I could muster, but around 6:15, people started piling in the door and I was there, standing helpless and spatula-clad by the stove, trying to fry camembert while everyone was hugging me and handing me wine and champagne. I hated being torn between finishing my menu and greeting my guests, so I finally popped the Shepherd's Pie in the oven and walked into the living room to mingle.

I had one little girl who kept sending me presents through my mail shoot, a couple of kids who were addicted to the Dubliner cheese I'd put out, and a whole group of people in the front room who make me smile constantly. It was great for us to be surrounded by so many people we care about. I stress myself out too much about throwing parties when it's really all about sharing a drink with friends.

John's coworkers delivered a couple of beautiful toasts to us, and John's friends in Los Angeles had an incredible bouquet of lilies delivered. It's nice to be appreciated and loved.

So, we had that nice weekend and now we're both in the middle of project after project after project. I've got high school kids working on Brecht, a dance video we're shooting this weekend and we're still looking for a full-length freestanding mirror and the rights to the music, a trip to Hungary coming up and cats who can't seem to do anything but make messes wherever we look.

Life is constant. I guess I just wish I could have a couple of days without anything now...the grass is always greener. If I wasn't working I'd be chomping at the bit to get a project started.

By the way, that's John downing his Guinness. Thank god for the small moments of joy we get spiked with every day.

No comments: