Monday, April 09, 2007

A Few Days Off

The weather's been beautiful in Southern Florida. The humidity dropped to nearly nothing and the temperature has been warm but comfortable with a cool breeze. Like the most perfect day in San Diego, Miami's been experiencing weather perfection. Granted, they're in the middle of a horrible drought, but I was still soaking it up over the weekend.


It's funny how blue skies and cool breezes can make everything seem okay. This was a really tough opening for several reasons and I needed a few days off. I walked on the beach, did some shopping on Lincoln Road, sat al fresco and wrote in my journal while sipping coffee, and people watched in Coral Gables.

I actually forgot that I don't particularly enjoy walking on East coast beaches. The sand is gritty and full of broken up shells that cut into my feet. Miami beaches are littered with junk, bottle caps, straw wrappers etc, which makes the sand unattractive as well. I took a brisk walk for about ten blocks until I got past the cove at 27th street, filled with fishermen standing on huge rocks and sunbathers hiding in the little open, sandy areas around them, then I went back up to the board walk and went a few more blocks before turning back. I actually like the board walk because the surface still has give but my speed is better and I'm not worried about getting sand in between my toes.

It's funny. I really have this need to live near water but have barely any interest in hanging out on it or on the beaches surrounding it. I think I could never be a beach bum because I feel like it isn't productive enough. I'm too high strung to wile away the hours sitting in the sand and staring at the sun.

Things start up again on Thursday when I go into the Ziff Theater at the Carnival Center in Miami to begin the tech process over again for a different venue. This one should be a bit easier because we know the pitfalls and the theater space is more accomodating to the size of the set. We have a brush-up technical rehearsal for the cast on Friday night. Our director's coming back since there were so many elements that were impossible to do in Broward. For her, the technical process was never really completed so the show will actually be truly opening in her vision for the first time in Miami.

Saturday was our closing in Broward County and I feel like it was a pretty tight show. The temple crash is starting to really do its thing, the singers looked good and the dancers were beautiful as always. I am in awe of them dancing on a rough surface and leaping around on a rake. I remember how difficult it was to look natural while trying not to stub my toe and fall on my face on impossible opera sets.

I only briefly wished I could have been up there dancing. Then I had another mocha and sat back behind the tech table in the dark...happily behind the scenes.

No comments: