Thursday, April 12, 2007

Reflection

I was putting away some laundry tonight and I passed the bathroom door, looked at myself in the mirror and saw someone I didn't recognize.

This person had wrinkles around her mouth and eyes, a few gray hairs popping out of her bangs and a little sag under her chin. She looked older, tired, a little world-weary. I did a double take; a very theatrical back up to look again - to stare.

I mean, I knew it was me, but I just couldn't believe it for a second. Sometimes I forget that I'm not a 95-pound bunhead anymore. I don't feel older than that girl. I dont' feel older than her at all.

2 comments:

tracey gessner said...

I feel ya.

Anonymous said...

We all go through this. You will have this experience many times, each time more perplexing. The trick is to embrace that new person in the mirror, add them to your being. Next time stop and really look into the mirror person's eyes you will find you have another dimension.