Saturday, April 29, 2006

Rainy Saturday

It's supposed to pour down rain all weekend. My mother told me that my brother was going to bring his kids up to the zoo, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen if it's as dreary tomorrow as it is today. the weather channel showed everything covered in green with a smattering of yellow and red, spread across the entire Midwest. Rain is something I have very little use for in my life . . . cold rain . . . I love summer downpours that are warm and sticky. I remember one in Chicago that I trudged through on my eight-block walk home from the train. It was warm and incredibly powerful and after a few minutes, I couldn't see because my eyes were covered in rain water, and my pants were plastered to my skin and I laughed hysterically as I groped my way home. Those types of wind-free, pure downpours are few and far between, and the grey, grumbly, melancholia that's simpering from the sky today just doesn't fit the bill.

I'm settling in here easily. This is close enough to home and the pace is familiar. I am agog at the gorgeous deciduous trees in my neighborhood and remembering how beautiful and lush they can be compared to the palm and cactus "forests" I've been living with in the South. I actually settle into most places well; the only ones I was completely thrown aside for were Miami and, funnily enough, San Diego. I'm just a Northern girl at heart.

Everything starts today, then we can assess if my comfort level stays the same.

As the man falling from the roof kept saying, "So Far So Good."

No comments: