Friday, April 14, 2006

Random Thoughts on a Day Off

I'm sitting at home after this long trip home, John off to UCSD-TV to madly edit the Opera Spotlight for Handel's "Julius Ceasar," and I keep telling myself I'm going to put everything away and go to the store and do all of this stuff that's nagging at me when all I really want to do is sit on my couch that I've missed so much and type and watch daytime TV and look at old pics and do a little Sudoku...What I can't do it eat junk, which is the other thing I feel like doing right now. That premenstrual state I get into once a month is in full force and I'd love to run out and pick up some Half Baked ice cream and shovel it down while continuing to do all of the b.s. I've listed above, but the willpower has to start somewhere.

Random Thoughts:

1). Tyne Daly plays a great mom on television. I've been watching "Judging Amy," which I think is a great view of a loving, somewhat dysfunctional, educated family. It reminds me somewhat of my own in the way they talk to each other and the shit they do to each other, and there in the middle of it all is Tyne Daly sporting her proud head of grey hair and her pithy comments. She's addictive.

2). I am most definitely in an off-period when it comes to politics. I've been deleting my "Der Spiegel" newsletters and ignoring the news bulletins when I go on line. I don't know why - every once in a while I just don't want to hear about it. Oh, I still catch wind of what's going on . . . had an outraged conversation with my family about some bill that the house of rep. in Missouri was trying to pass making Christianity the official majority religion of the state. Aargh, Aargh, Aargh. What the hell is going on in this country? . . . but for the most part I am going through a definite period of no interest. I think I am on corruption/bad decision/scary government overload.

3). On a similar note, I went to get some coffee today at a neighborhood coffeeshop and actually had the urge to buy a newspaper to read while I was enjoying my mocha. I put my money in and couldn't get the apparatus to open its damn door - twice. (what is that old adage about fooling me once shame on you...) Somebody is truly telling me to give it a rest. For now.

4). Commercials suck. Period.

5). Right now I've just looked out the window and it's pouring down rain while the sun is shining. I think I have to go look for a rainbow right now. The most beautiful rainbow I ever saw was while I was on my solo trip to the Southwest and I was driving past those incredible wind fields near Palm Springs, and this huge rainbow appeared out of nowhere and pierced the ground right in between two of the huge windmills. It was blinding and gorgeous and I swear it was reflecting off of a pot of gold. I've spent the last few years looking for a rival -- no such luck thus far.

I'll let you know.

No comments: