Wednesday, June 07, 2006

No Gay Marriage Amendment for Mr. Bush

So it didn't happen. We all knew the Amendment wouldn't pass, but I still can breathe a little easier knowing we are over one hurdle towards becoming the fascist state for which Bush and his cronies so desperately yearn.

We haven't even begun to see the end of this issue though. As long the Religious Right has any kind of hold over our law-makers, this issue and other social issues that "go against God" will continue to come under endless fire.

I am especially appalled at the President's remarks on the "Marriage Amendment" that make it sound like passing the amendment would actually give the American people more freedom. My favorite quote:

As this debate goes forward, every American deserves to be treated with tolerance and respect and dignity. (Applause.) On an issue of this great significance, opinions are strong and emotions run deep. And all of us have a duty to conduct this discussion with civility and decency toward one another. All people deserve to have their voices heard and a constitutional amendment will ensure that they are heard.


All of this sounds quite decent until you get to the end. What he really means to say is all voices deserve to be heard, but we should only truly listen to the ones that agree with him.

Not much of a rant today I guess...I should be feeling happy that the amendment didn't have nearly enough votes, but I think I'm just feeling more disgruntled than anything. I get in this mood any time I read something that Bush has said or written. He just needs to go away; and fast.

I'm ending this post with a quip from one Peter Griffin who, on an early episode of "The Family Guy," rode into his yard on an elephant and yelled down to his wife, "Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: An elephant, and a big, fat, white guy who's afraid of change."

No comments: