Saturday, September 09, 2006

Back Pain and the Cats-As-Aliens Theory


I woke up this morning with my entire back killing me. I know why - it always seems to be my own damn fault. I taught a class on basic lifts and sharing weight/counterbalancing yesterday. I pulled countless students up onto my feet in a superman pose and took several students onto my back to demonstrate the various ways to find human shelves. I am paying for it today; I don't have that kind of strength and ability the same way I used to.

I guess my back and neck always hurt. I'm used to the dull, whispering pain that set in about ten or twelve years ago and never fully left. I know my neck has gotten worse over the years because I sleep in awkward, curled positions and my tics are ten times worse in my neck than in any other part of my body (save maybe my stomach). But when you stand this much pain for this long, your body gets used to dealing with it; it makes you wear out sooner but you work through it and your life goes on. It's frustrating to wake up feeling debilitated by pain because I know the hurt must truly be excruciating if I can't seem to work through it; if I can't get it off my mind.

On a different, lighter, perhaps more disturbing note, John and I had a phone conversation today as he sat up at UCSD mastering the AIDS awareness dance film he's been working on for the past - it seems - 400 years. He's convinced that, if aliens have in fact infiltrated our society in order to learn things about the way we work, that they have come in the shape of cats. I don't disagree. Take, for instance, the photograph above. How other-worldly is that? He thinks that the consistent midnight tearing about the house in which all felines seem to partake is actually a response to calls from the Mother Ship. He even goes so far as to say that aliens came down thousands of years ago and took the shape of cats with the intent to conquer the world, but they enjoyed the petting and being fed and being pampered and worshipped so much, that they just never left.

John and I live with three very odd aliens. One of them is sitting on my lap right now.

I wonder if their untapped powers include curing back pain?

No comments: