Saturday, September 16, 2006

On Site

Today is the presentation of this huge site specific work we've been leading up to in my movement workshop these past couple of weeks. I tend to do this to myself a lot: create these hugely ambitious projects and then fret as the end rears it's head that I won't be able to pull them off.

This one, however, is up to the students. I've looked over my paperwork, my graphs of which students can go where, how many can work at each station of the tour. I'm leading the audience on a tour of the school and students will be in various nooks and crannies showing off their new movement skills. As we pass by, they must run the opposite direction and stay out of sight in order to get to their next station. Sound confusing? It's been a huge headache to figure out the logistics, and in a few hours my work will be tested and we'll see if I did all of these math problems correctly.

I love putting together huge pieces like this, despite my griping. There's something wholly satisfying about orchestrating a gigantic piece of movement and then, like a clockmaker, stepping back and watching it tick. The nerves come in the actual planning stage. Once these kids get working on their pieces, I'll be better equipped to deal with my adrenalin.

I leave for Chicago and my wedding in four days. It really can't come soon enough - nor can Ireland, though I look at all of those hurricane models in the Atlantic and wonder if their Northern path won't impede our travels a bit. I hope they can all dissipate before we embark across the ocean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Europe awaits the bride.....xx

Thy husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper,
Thy head, thy sovereign; one that cares for thee,
And for thy maintenance commits his body
To painful labour both by sea and land,
To watch the night in storms, the day in cold,
Whilst thou liest warm at home, secure and safe;
And craves no other tribute at thy hands
But love, fair looks and true obedience;
Too little payment for so great a debt.

Keturah said...

The bride anticipates Europe....

What a lovely, well-written, completely sexist poem. I rarely lie warm at home, rarely commit myself to those things both secure and safe, and am never obedient to anything but my heart, nor do I answer to any lord, neither here at home or in the heavens.

Don't try to get my goat. It won't work; not right now ; )

Anonymous said...

Touche............