Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Looking Forward


This is me, taken by John, standing at the meeting place for my site-specific tour approximately 15 minutes before I led a huge group of parents through the Canyon Crest grounds. I was a bit nervous that parents wouldn't find the meeting place; it wasn't outside of a theater, it wasn't in an easily recognized entrance, yet it was a great place to start because the breezeway behind me opened up into a huge plaza that spoke architectural movement. Behind me sat 8 students, poised and ready to begin their sound/movement vignette as soon as the gates opened and I led the crowd inside.

I was infinitely proud of my students on Saturday. They worked hard, developed pieces that truly demonstrated a comprehension of the concepts I taught, worked easily together without descending into chit-chat and laziness. I led around 70 people through the 40 minute tour, which ended with all 33 students making their way through the halls and staircases into one huge group in the middle of the plaza. Parents were ecstatic, singing praise and grinning with cameras held high. It's a terrific sense of accomplishment to see parents impressed by what you've passed on to their children.

It was my final moment before a two week respite to marry and be a tourist.

Yesterday and the day before was all about getting ready and attempting to relax about the air travel, the wedding logistics, the family dynamic. I painted my nails and read my book in between packing, laundering and fretting. We are finally down to the final moments and I feel like I've prepared well. So much more relaxed than yesterday; yesterday afternoon was moments of panic attack and feeling like everything in my head was exploding. Sometimes I feel like I'm struggling to pull my life together every moment, and then I come to my senses in one fell swoop.

Today was better. My floors are clean. My cats are fed. There's a pizza winging its way to us. Thank god for the small things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything is going to wonderful. You deserve a beautiful wedding and honeymoon!