Sunday, September 03, 2006

Everyone's A Critic and Points of No Return


My pieces at Celebrate Dance were reviewed in an online magazine. I wasn't expecting to be discussed at all in the media, but my picture even made it in. It was a strange moment to click onto the website and see myself circling through space, looking away from the camera; I had no idea there were press photographers present.

The review was mixed, but I think relatively accurate. There are definitely parts of the duet that I'd like to go back in and tinker with. There's a fire missing in some of the heavier parts that I think can be corrected, but it requires a little more work on my part and some concentrated thought about the order of movements and the smoothness of transitions. Going back into a piece that's already been performed and switching it up and around can be really difficult. Humans get set in their ways so quickly.

Reviews are difficult items as well. I try never to look at them too seriously, or to realize that everyone in the auditorium is coming to the show with their own experiences and their own perceptions. A review is simply one person's opinion. Though I am self critical enough to know when truths have been stated.


She really liked my solo. That made me infinitely happy. I walked into that with utter doubt as to whether or not it would read to the audience, and have a lot more confidence that the stories I'm telling are valid and coherent. The audience response coupled with the printed statements give me fire to move forward.

I'll have a chance to try the duet again in December; this time on my own turf. I officially rented a gallery space to present work on December 17th. Writing the check was nerve-wracking, but it's put me in a state of no return. As John and I walked back to the car on University I said, "Well, now I guess I HAVE to make art." The commitment is good for me. It won't allow me to rest back on my haunches and self-doubt.

The Arts and Entertainment Center is a great space in a burgeoning neighborhood. North Park is filled with theaters and coffee shops and boutiques, and an early show on a Sunday night will be great I think. The space is just big enough with interesting chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and a constantly changing collection of paintings and shadowboxes on the walls in the front gallery. The woman running the place took me on a tour and answered a ton of technical questions for John about various avenues of lighting and how we would set up a screen to show a dance film.

So now I'm looking forward to what's next. I am shooting and editing two short films in the next couple of months, with John's help of course, and continuing my movement exploration that will evenutally lead up to a larger piece about my relationship with my father. This time it's a duet with a little girl, which should be challenging in itself.

Today is hot and steamy, humid remnants of Hurricane John, which is backing off of Cabo and slowly moving out to sea. John and I (and the cats) don't respond well to the hot weather. It was part of the reason I loathed Miami as much as I did. We tried to go to the Farmer's Market this morning and wandered aimlessly around for a bit, slurping lemonade and buying fruit, then finally decided to escape to the air conditioned confines of Brian's American Eatery for brunch. We ran into some friends at the Farmer's Market and all four of us stood there in the sweltering sun with a complete inability to form sentences as the humidity hugged our brains. Sitting at the counter at Brian's was much better and helped me prepare to come home and enjoy the humidity in a completely different setting.

I did, however, buy the necklace I will wear on my wedding day as we walked from white stall to white stall. It's a string of freshwater pearls and quite lovely in its simplicity. It's coming fast and furious. Let's just hope the weather is nice and I don't sweat through my crisp, white suit.

No comments: