Sunday, March 11, 2007

All Work and No Play . . .

. . . I've learned from years of experience that I have to take breaks. I remember my first day of work at Florida Grand last year. I had a list of things to do and was determined to touch on all of them by the end of the day. I didn't eat lunch, my blood sugar dropped, and I was a very unhappy person by the time I dragged my ass home.

Life is a balance between periods of intense concentration . . . and dancing. I've certainly had both this weekend. I finished all the work I set out to do, did laundry, made food, then danced around my living room, took a long walk and browsed a bookstore. I'll be more and more unbalanced as the rehearsal week starts so I have to get in my relaxation time now.

Some random observations from the last couple of days:

1. Public transportation should be less stressful than driving. You should be able to read the newspaper or go through your to-do list or just people watch. This week has been that way for the most part. I've never waited longer than 15 minutes for a bus, the weather's been nice so sitting on a park bench is delightful, and I've always gotten a seat. Friday night, however, I waited an HOUR for the bus, didn't have a seat, and stressed the entire time that I wouldn't make it to the ballet. I did, but I kept thinking to myself, "it shouldn't be this hard to get around without a car..." Not that it's any easier WITH a car in this here city.

2. Too many friends and family members have been losing pets lately. It's devestating and makes me think about the kitties I've left at home for so long. This is especially so for Lucius, my 13-year-old white cat with cardiomyopathy. I keep telling myself that I'm prepared for him to go since he's been so sick for so long, but it's not true.

3. I wonder if piano tuners ever get used to the noise? The props were loaded into the rehearsal hall on Friday at the same time that the piano was being tuned in there. We all tried to be as quiet and polite as possible but after a while you just have to roll your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears as he pounds key after key after key over and over and over. Surely they must be used to the monotony, but they must just want to sit down and play once in a while instead of the incessent tapping. The day we were focusing in Fairfax, a guy was tuning the harpsichord for 4 HOURS! We were all poking pencils in our eyes by the end of the session, and when he started pounding out the theme to the Addams Family, our stage manager marched down to the pit and asked him if he could possibly be finished soon...

4. Speaking of nightmare jobs, I could never be in charge of scheduling. I'm trying to put together a detailed schedule for "Samson" right now and it is a headache beyond headaches. I have trouble dealing with my own time, let alone everyone else's. I haven't scratched out everything and started over this much since I first learned long division.

5. I'm actually acclimating to this weather. I think it's because it wasn't that hot here when I first arrived so my body has had a chance to deal with a more gradual climate change. Humidity still stinks, but I'm not physically ill this year.

6. I miss my husband. Only eight more weeks.

No comments: