Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Gaining Momentum

Monday afternoon I arrived in Miami. I stepped off the airplane waiting for it to be humid, balmy, stifling and there was actually a lovely breeze. Thus far the weather has not been oppressive in the least, though I have a terrible feeling that will change soon enough as there's rain moving into the area this weekend.

The picture is me collapsed on the bed after arriving at my new apartment in Coral Gables. It's a great little place with rattan furniture, antique tables and armoires and a full kitchen. The walls are tall and white; everything looks clean and summery here. Walking onto the stone floors and across my sisal rug, feeling the cross breeze in my little bed nook actually puts me in a good mood. I have a feeling this Florida experience will be a far cry from what I was dealing with this last year. As long as we can keep those pesky hurricanes away.

We started prep yesterday and I already feel like I have a good handle on the show. Our production team seems to be together and friendly, no one is trying to overexert control and no one seems too green. The energy at the opera house is actually feeling pretty upbeat despite the fact that the company is suffering from some growing pains this year. They've added one more opera to the season and they've moved into this GIANT new theater, plus they have quite a few newbies on staff. All of these things make for rough transitions but thus far everyone on "Samson" seems to be taking things in stride.

As long as we're all capable of laughing with each other.

What makes me the most nervous is the fact that I haven't worked with this director before. It's actually been over a year since I've stepped into a rehearsal hall to assist someone I've never met. It's a whole different type of prep period because I have to guess how someone's going to work. When I walk into a studio with Lillian or Harry, I've worked with them
enough times that I know exactly what they're going to want and how they're going to react to certain situations. When someone asks you a question about schedule or preference, there's confidence in being able to say, "She'd rather have it this way," or "He's not going to like that, we need to contact him right away and let him know..."

Otherwise, things are going well. I have a handle on my paperwork, I've tabbed my score and printed off a synopsis, put together a scene breakdown. Once I start putting my full attention to a show it doesn't take me that long to prepare. It's because I get obsessive, I know, but maybe that's not always bad.

I'm also happy because I haven't yet needed a car. I'm a full public transportation girl, and have been taking the bus down Coral Way every day to get to the Florida Grand Offices. I should be able to do this all through staging rehearsals and I'm going to travel up to the theater tomorrow to find out if I will or won't need a car during the run at Carnival Center... It makes me feel environmentally and economically sound.

How wonderful to lounge in a comfy chair, feel a cool breeze run over my bare legs as I type on my laptop, sipping tea, not rushing through mounds of paperwork and stressing about getting everything done on time. I think this may be one of the first positive postings I've had in a while.

I'll let you know how that goes once it heats up and starts raining...

No comments: