Friday, March 17, 2006

I Think I Can, I Think I Can . . .

Right now this opera is like the little engine that could, its train laden down with toys, puffing and wheezing as it climbs to the top of the hill. It MUST deliver to the children on the other side. Opening night is that final push over the top, and it's a smooth, downhill ride from there. It's getting to the top of the mountain that's always the tough part.

We had our invited dress rehearsal last night. Things were actually running pretty well minus a strobe light with a mind of its own, a missing super, a couple of singers who can't seem to get their makeup call right in their heads, and one singer who's dealing with some cold and sinus issues. The final issue is always the most egregious and we will all prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. Antinbiotics are being taken, rest is being had, and my fingers are tightly crossed. It's a nerve-wracking period of wait-and-see, but one I am familiar with, having gone through it during "La Fanciulla Del West" as well. There's a part of me who thinks that the Dade County Auditorium is the culprit. It's old and musty and brings out the worst in people's allergies. I'm one of many who's been a little sniffly and sneezy since we started our work in the theater, and I can't help but think that this has a lot to do the illness that always seems to become part of the equation in putting up a show here.

Moving to the new theater next year will be a fantastic move for FGO for more than one reason.

So, we're puffing and creaking along, but still climbing. That final push over the top of the mountain really can't come soon enough (like so many things in my experience here).

No comments: