Thursday, May 18, 2006

. . . And The Kitchen Sink!


What childish fun we've been having at the opera lately! We moved into the theater two days ago. This show was SO, SO ready. We'd run the entire show about six times in the rehearsal studio before we moved over. We were at risk of peaking too early if we didn't add sets and costumes soon. The theater move has added just enough spice, and we are having a great time thus far!

Our biggest issue is the huge candy house that transforms into a factory and then, ultimately, blows up at the end. In this day and age of trying to keep theaters healthy, many of the smoke effects that used to be used with frequency are completely out of the question. Singers can't handle the altered air and large quantities can be dangerous for your health. And so we are left with less options. While this can start out relatively upsetting, it forces us to become creative. How do you simulate an explosion on stage with no smoke effects and without large pieces of house actually flying across the stage and potentially falling into the pit?

So our last few tech sessions have largely revolved around testing various types of glitter/mylar/streamers/party decorations falling from the flies and delicately placing CO2 blasts at appropriate intervals. There's something wonderfully childish about throwing things from the ceiling and seeing how "cool" they look. It harkens back to the days when I would be all about tossing water balloons from a bridge. Despite minor frustrations with various results, we've had moments of clapping and jumping up and down, and all sorts of childish squeals and laughter. It's great to feel youthful about a production.


As we've gone along, we've added plenty of small surprises and little bits of humor that really give this piece flavor. As I've repeated before, I am sad to be gone for the run. I got tickets for my family the other day; my 4-year-old niece will see her first opera on the 10th. I am ecstatic to hear her response. I love watching audiences respond to things we've worked so hard to achieve. At the final room run a few days ago, I spent most of my time staring at the transfixed children's chorus; watching when they laughed and when they seemed uninterested. An opera that holds a child's interest is quite a feat.

Last night was our first on-stage session with the children. They did surprisingly well. There are several who came decidedly out of their shell once they climbed on stage and into the "Hansel and Gretel" world. I used to be like that - I had a hard time performing in a room filled with people I could see. I needed to raise that fourth wall before I felt comfortable being myself.

St. Louis has been my reward for enduring the last six months.

No comments: