Friday, May 05, 2006

Tiny Operas for Tiny People

I'm really enjoying working on a small opera in St. Louis. We have a cast of six plus children, and under two hours worth of music. The music is delicate and beautiful, the content is precious, and I am having a great time. It's such a change from the hectic whirlwind that was Miami. I was so stressed there too often and I feel on top of things here. This afternoon we will do our first stumble through of the entire opera. This is our fifth day of rehearsal.

Only one other time have I been party to an opera that went up so quickly. When I put up "Akhnaten" in France, there were two of us who knew the opera very well and we put the whole thing up (minus the two chorus sequences) in a week. It left ample time for clarification and embroidery and we were ecstatic and quite pleased with ourselves. This opera is a new production, however, so to see it gel so quickly is incredibly satisfying. It really stems from a director who knows what he's doing and six incredibly smart singers. They can put movement in their bodies without fuss and have a retention that is rare in people trying to put voice and body together. It's been a joy from start to finish watching their characters take shape.

I also have to mention Bill Lumpkin, our young maestro. I love watching conductors work in general, with their sweeping arm motions and intense facial expressions, but Maestro Lumpkin is especially enjoyable to observe. He is quite kinetic, conducting with his entire body. He knows the music so well that he often abandons his music stand and stool, stands out in front of all of us at the center mark, and conducts entirely from memory. I love watching his hands catching the upbeat of Humperdink's dance rhythms as his lower body dances back and forth as well. He leads the music forward with every muscle in his body and you feel that the music is actually being produced through him. Sometimes he plops down at the piano with his baton in his mouth and plays out perfectly, exactly what he was discussing earlier. I think he is an incredible talent.

This show has potential to be something quite special. I'm, for once, sad I won't be around for the run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are many sad to see you will not be here for the show!