Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Un-Wired

For my regular readers (of which there are a few . . . thank you for sticking with me):

Having scant access to the internet here in St. Louis has left me with very little time to blog. I am in the whirlwind throes of production week right now and sitting down briefly to check email and do some banking. I have not forgotten this space, though my lack of wireless signal anywhere I go has left me with very little change to speak my mind in cyberspace.

Suffice, I have much to say and will blog long and hard when I am back in San Diego next week. I am amazed by my singers here, loving the experience of making houses explode and cookies drop from the ceiling and witches burn up in ovens. I was particularly excited yesterday during our first orchestra dress. We had a bit of an audience and I had the opportunity to sit back and watch children as they took in the opera. Their reactions are the true test of our success.

I am nerve-wracked about these goals I've set for myself to produce work this fall. I am calling many places and people this afternoon to set up (hopefully) rehearsal space and time and really make all of this imagining I've been doing into something concrete. It's always easier to be second in command . . . you are relieved of so much responsibility. I'm feeling the need to put more on my shoulders when it comes to a creative outlet.

I am frustrated by comments made by government officials about making English our official language. I'm not sure I disagree entirely with the original idea, but the xenophobia that is being shouted from the rooftops by these clowns begs explanation and maybe a swift kick to the head. I am also so unbelievably tired of our government trying to force us into a theocracy...more on that later.

. . .But one more thing . . . I saw a priest on the news the other night protesting "The DaVinci Code." He commented to the camera, "We are supposed to be a Christian State, and when our government allows this type of propaganda to be shown, it is working entirely against the Christian ideal.." Ummmmm...there are so many things wrong with that statement that my head started steaming when I first heard it...

And so I am off to do more work and will be back in full swing at the beginning of next month. I am still thinking and breathing and excited and pissed off and look forward to pouring it all out here soon....

Until then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never mind this, where ihas the soul of the woman gone when it's Friday and she's not fully focussed on the 500 ? So, opera/dancer girl, who's your man ( I would say or woman but it is obvious to skilled onlookers that Danika is only on 7 cylinders even when her engine is on full song) ?