Saturday, May 27, 2006

Random Thoughts from Terre Haute


So I'm in Terre Haute, Indiana, at my family reunion, sitting in between my brother and my mother, waiting for pizza, watching Seinfeld. . . a few random thoughts as I sit here trying to escape the oppressive heat in the hallway.

I know many of you may have expected a Danika Patrick photograph at the top of the entry. I must say, I like her very much and hope she knocks all of these boys out of the water tomorrow morning, but I'm really all over Sam Hornish Jr. right now. He may be my ultimate pick for the winner when I fill out my pool sheet tomorrow. Part of me thinks that his great show in the time trials and his place on the pole position will knock him out in Murphy's Law, but I'd love to see him garner the trophy as well..he's kinda cute too.

Family reunions are interesting animals. So many people wandering around this hotel that I'm related to. We all have relatively nothing in common except for some similar genes, but we all smile and ask how things are going anyway. And really I like most of my family, but it still sometimes baffles me how we all choose to commune in the same place once a year. I think the other thing that amazes me is the fact that no one ever looks the same. I have all of these cousins who used to be really small and are now really big and tall and graduating from schools and speaking intelligently about adult topics. It's amazing how much changes in a year.

I didn't get to see Hansel and Gretel open in St. Louis, My contract ended after the final dress and so I have no idea how it turned out. The final dress looked beautiful. The explosions were working and all of the singers sounded beautiful. We had a full audience of kids who were completely entranced and watching them was all the assurance I needed that this show would be successful. The big snafu of the evening (of which there is always one on a final dress. . . a catastrophe during the dress is what ensures a successful opening . . . was that our milk jug that is supposed to smash into pieces did nothing but break its handle and the whole thing rolled into the pit. We had to stop the show and make sure everyone in the orchestra was okay. Everyone was pretty shook up but no one was seriously injured and the show went on, albeit a little bit edgy and shaky until the intermission when everyone could calm down and get their jitters out. It was a terrible thing to happen, but ultimately, I'm glad it happened on the dress rehearsal so we could fix the problem before the opening.

Theater is dangerous. I especially feel for those musicians in the pit who never know when something might fall on top of them. I have in my time in the theater, however, seen plenty of things fall out of the flies, set pieces wobble too close, props fall apart . . . we all know it's possible. I just hate to see it happen.

Wednesday I fly back to San Diego and I actually get to spend seven months in my home. It will be amazing to actually work where I live. This lifestyle gets very difficult after a while.

I can't wait for the race tomorrow. As much as family can sometimes be trying, I look forward to this time of year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY.. my daughter, son and granddaughter live in Terre Haute!!!

What a small world!

Keturah said...

Priscilla,

That's right!!! It's an incredibly small world. My entire family is actually from Charleston/Mattoon/Danville and we have a large enclave in the Champaign-Urbana area. It's amazing that no matter how far away (into cyberspace) you get, you just keep finding home over and over again.

Cheers!