Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Home-Grown Ham..


I'm supposed to be at a party right now. One of the women from the wig/makeup crew is throwing a party in Miami Beach and I was supposed to go there, but instead I am here reminiscing about my childhood. I've (obviously) been a ham since I was very young, and my brothers all followed suit. We put on so many shows for my parents, using the hearth as our little stage. This picture is particularly telling in terms of our show style and our crazy ideas about costume and performance. What's with the half-ass clown lips I've painted on? The shirt claims I'm a genius, but I'm not so sure.... And check out my brother's hot pants. We were the height of preschool style back then. I think he's using a Fischer Price lamp post as a microphone. Creative.

I guess I haven't changed much. I still embarrass myself routinely on stage.

It's nice to think about performing when it's been soooooo long since I've been on stage. I'm not ready to entirely give it up. I need to find an outlet soon.

Right now we're still trying to get ourselves moved to the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. The stage management staff took a little "field trip" up there today to familiarize ourselves with the backstage area. I pretty much sat in the stage management office and played with the free wireless internet. It took me about ten minutes to acclimate. If you've seen one theater...

The traffic and pouring rain on the way back is what ultimately did me in. I haven't been able to wake up since, and so I am looking at ridiculous pictures of me at 6 years old rather than don something decent and get back in my car to battle Miami's heinous traffic to cross the causeway and try to pretend like I'm in the mood to socialize.

Sometimes I can be a real misanthrope.