Tuesday, November 01, 2005

We're Back Baby!!!


Today at 4pm, Elizabeth Blancke-Biggs and Anthony Michaels-Moore were singing their Act II duet in our generator-lit room while Lillian and I sweated in our corner seats and Andrew Bisantz, filling in for Stewert Robertson, was conducting away. Univision cameras had been there today so the window that opens up above to the admin offices was wide open. I'm trying to stay awake and I look up to the dark offices above, when suddenly all of the overhead lights go on up there and then all of the overhead lights flicker and light up in the rehearsal space. Everyone stopped what they were doing and started screeching, screaming with joy and pumping fists in the air. The air conditioning started churning and Sherrie Dee came into the room with a huge grin on her face - almost teary-eyed she was as we basked in our sudden power surge.

The electricty came just in time too as we had our final room run tonight with full chorus and a bunch of administrative staff sitting around watching. The run went as well as could be expected for the first time through and everyone was grinning, laughing and making comments about being able to see the scenery. I was ecstatic, and finally able to fully focus on my notebook as Lillian fired note after note to me. We had our sugar glass bottle at rehearsals for the first time today and Tim Kuhn, our Sonora, smashed it into a million pieces during one of the fights. He hit it against the wall after the original strike and the whole thing disentegrated in his hands. As it were, Lillian and I were covered in shards of sugar glass since the first strike sprayed in all directions. It will be much better when we can sit in the house.

The cast took me out for a drink after rehearsals. They're a good group of guys and a little roudy and loud when they get tipsy. By the end of the evening it started to remind me of my drinking days with Chicago Opera Theater with stupid jokes, constant laughter and a general blowing off of major steam. The difference being that I wasn't drunk tonight (twas not always the case). As I've grown up I've realized how the fun factor doesn't increase exponentially the more you drink, but the headache factor does. This group's been under a lot of stress lately however. Some of the singers are still without power and staying with people until the electricity comes back on in their place.

Thank god I'm not dealing with that anymore.

The picture is of Fenna Ograjensek setting up to run Act II with her papoose (the prop from hell which Lillian has affectionately named "Little Pooping Horse.") I will be infinitely happier when this thing moves to the theater.

No comments: