Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Big Trucks are Heinous, but Sunsets are Pretty.


So here I am in humid, oppressive, third world Miami, Florida! I don't know . . . maybe I'm overselling it.

No, actually, I thought for the first time today that I might actually be able to get used to this place. I learned two things about Miami and myself while I was sitting in my car on the way home from Florida Grand Opera, where I had my first day of work.

One, I learned that I really, really can't stand people who drive those two-story pickup trucks and those totally oversized SUVs. They are pushy, inconsiderate bullies with no sense of space and I can't see the traffic lights around them and when they put their brakes on I have no idea why because I can't see in front of them. I'm looking for the Winn-Dixie on Coral Way so that I can buy some coffee and I'm behind this asshole in a truck who keeps slamming on his brakes for god knows why and I can't see around him and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. As I pull around him and into the parking lot I notice he's on his cell phone and there is nobody in front of him, hence no reason for the brake lights. The frustrating part of the traffic in this city is that everyone drives one of these unapologetic monstrosities and they all drive like they're in a third world country. Everyone is swerving all over the road with no signal and every other road is torn up for repairs, so it takes me ages to get mere blocks in my sweaty, unairconditioned vehicle. AAAAaaaaaargh!

Two (if you can remember what I was listing after that rant), I learned that Miami sunsets are even more beautiful than anyone could possibly have ever described to me. Again, I'm driving West on Coral Way coming home to Miami Springs from work, and I have a LOT of time to look at the sky because of the oppressive traffic. We're under this huge canopy of banyon trees and I can see the sunlight blasting through the leaves into my eyes, and as I come out of the tree covering, a cloud moves across the sun and these pink god rays shoot in every direction and I'm left in awe staring at this incredibly shaped cloud refracting the light into vibrant colors not unlike the buildings in South Beach and I think, "This is why people live here."

Maybe the one will eventually cancel out the other. Either that or it's time for me to start trying the side streets for an easier way around.

I miss my boyfriend. Nothing is ever going to cancel that out. Not even the most gorgeous sunset in eternity.

More work tomorrow. . . it hasn't gotten exciting yet but lord knows I'll let everyone know when it does!

No comments: