Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I'm a Sucker (Lucius knew)


So I'm in the Winn-Dixie parking lot on Coral and 17th buying water and non-perishable food items in prepration for a lil' hurricane to come creeping by on Saturday, when across the front of my path comes a full litter of six cats. They've climbed out of the bushes on the far side of the lot and are all sitting in various places on the blacktop, licking their paws and looking nonchalant. I am as mesmerized by them as they are by my blinding headlights.

As I drive forward, they lackidaisically move back into the bushes and I am left to think about thier fate as this huge storm passes over the area. I hate strays (I hate SEEING strays rather . . . if it were up to me, all strays would live in my house).

I am reminded of my acquisition of Lucius, rather, his acquisition of me. I was in the parking lot of an Osco Drug in Columbia, Missouri, when this skinny white cat comes bounding across the parking lot out of nowhere and jumps in my front seat. He chose me. It was love at first site. I chose him right back and I thank god that I did. He is so sensitive - he could never have survived on his own.

I wish I could have given these kitties homes. As it were, I took their picture for posterity. I hope, hope, hope they're safe.

No comments: